'Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19' :-
||15 Sep 1916
||France and Flanders
||19th (County of London) Battalion (St. Pancras)
|Type of Casualty:
||Killed in action
|Theatre of War:
||Western European Theatre
||Formerly 2303, 25Th London Regt.
[Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19 - published in 1921 by
His Majesty's Stationery Office]
In Memory of
Private Arthur George CLARKE
8538, 19th Bn London Regiment.
who died on 15 September 1916 age 18.
Son of David Arthur and Johanna Clarke, of 45, Franche Court
Rd., Lower Tooting, Surrey.
Remembered with honour
London Cemetery and Extension, Longueval -
Commemorated in perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
London Cemetery and Extension, Longueval - Somme, France
Longueval is a village 40 kilometres north-east of Amiens
and 12 kilometres east-north-east of Albert, a town on the D929 road from
Amiens to Bapaume and Cambrai.From the D929 direction Bapaume-Albert take
the 2nd turning for Martinpuich and continue along the D6 direction
Longueval, for 2 kilometres. London Cemetery and Extension will be found
on the right hand side of the road.
High Wood was fiercely fought over during the Battle of the Somme
until cleared by 47th (London) Division on 15 September 1916. It was lost
during the German advance of April 1918, but retaken the following August.
The original London Cemetery at High Wood was begun when 47 men of the
47th Division were buried in a large shell hole on 18 and 21 September
1916. Other burials were added later, mainly of officers and men of the
47th Division who died on 15 September 1916, and at the Armistice the
cemetery contained 101 graves. The cemetery was then greatly enlarged when
remains were brought in from the surrounding battlefields, but the
original battlefield cemetery is preserved intact within the larger
cemetery, now known as the London Cemetery and Extension.
cemetery, one of five in the immediate vicinity of Longueval which
together contain more than 15,000 graves, is the third largest cemetery on
the Somme with 3,873 First World War burials, 3,114 of them unidentified.
London Cemetery and Extension was used again in 1946 by the Army
Graves Service for the reburial of Second World War casualties recovered
from various temporary burial grounds, French military cemeteries, small
communal cemeteries, churchyards and isolated graves, where permanent
maintenance was not possible. These graves are in one central plot at the
extreme end of the cemetery, behind the Cross of Sacrifice. Second World
War burials number 165.
The original London Cemetery was designed
by Sir Herbert Baker, but the site was completely re-modelled after the
Second World War by Austin Blomfield.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission]